Monday, February 04, 2008

Playtime

In my January wrap-up, I failed to mention how fun and amazing it is to watch Owen play. He can take the simplest object - which includes most infant toys, designed to avoid the choking, breaking, cutting, pinching, etc - and be continually fascinated by it. He'll turn it over and over, put various parts in the mouth for a while, resume turning it over, perhaps about a different axis. It's a very different process than the excited swinging and accidental throwing of an object, and he rarely goes from one to another. Actually, as fascinated by an object as he may be, he's probably less amazed than I am by him. I call it "playing", but in an adult you'd call it "intense scrutiny". I give a fortune to know what's going on in his noggin at those times, either what he's thinking, or what tracks are being laid down in the neurons.

No comments: