Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The King of Kong

"The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" is a documentary about one man's recent quest to break the 20+ year old record score for Donkey Kong. It's a well-made, unsettling movie, which made me never want to be the best in the world at anything. The people in the competitive classic video gaming game are deceitful (of others or themselves), paranoid, manipulative, and/or obsessive. This may be true of the elites in any field - business, politics, sport, art - but in an arena that seems to comprise about 75 people in the world, and for the rest of us just represents memories of well-spent quarters (if ill-spent time), it's a little disturbing.

1 comment:

Old Father William said...

http://wmli.blogspot.com/2006/10/stephen-klineberg-once-said.html

In the words of Corola McCloud, the Toyota Highlander, "There can be only one. If I cut of your head, that one won't be you. Hey, isn't that Virginia Madsen in the 2nd movie? I loved her in 'Electric Dreams' I can't believe she is still working, didn't she just do a movie with Paul Giamatti about wine? Oh... anyway look at my sword: I'm fierce!"