Thursday, December 23, 2004

The fickle world of director's cuts

We've finished watching the extended version of Return of the King. (Thanks, Dad!) On the whole, I think I may prefer the theatrical release of this one. I'll not go into details (ostensibly to prevent spoiling surprises and biasing others, but really to avoid appearing as nerdy as I truly am). Overall, I thought that most of the new/expanded scenes added little value. Some were nice, but some were downright negative. I'm a bit surprised. The extended version of Fellowship filled out that story, it saved The Two Towers, but this one seemed to miss.

Do not dawdle, faithful reader. The Christmas edition of The Economist has already been on news stands for one week; only one more remains. If you only read The Economist once per year, this is the time to do it. In addition to the standard exemplary review of goings-on outside the world of Travis and Kerry, the Christmas double includes a variety of surprising and entertaining articles. I've already read about the end of the world, mule-packing, and Bhutan, and I'm not even halfway through. Cranberries are yet to come. Don't miss it.

I cooked a standing rib roast for the first time last night. It went well, I think. I highly recommend the rib roast for those festive occasions when you need to cook a gallon of meat. It's very straightfoward; as long as you've got a meat thermometer (and I do; thanks, Dad!), there's not much to mess up. You can get pretty consistent advice on how to cook a roast from Dad, the new Joy of Cooking, ochef, or Alton Brown.

1 comment:

David said...

what makes a rib roast standing?

and i can vouch to lourens big meat holiday thing. she cooked an awesome meal for new years a few years ago of beef wellington that was one of the best meals i have ever had.

havent watched the rotk ee yet, so im glad you didnt post spoilers. both of my roommates who did though said that some of their favorite parts of the movie now come from the extended bit.