Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Español en México

I forgot to mention that, while in Mexico, I did quite a bit of talking in Spanish with people. It was fun, and they seemed genuinely pleased/amused by my efforts. One conversation with a taxi driver stood out, however, for being less than fruitful:

(translated into English as best as I can manage)
Travis: Did it rain much last night?
Driver: No, not much.
Travis: While we were at dinner, we saw the... oh, how is it said in Spanish, the light in the rain?
Driver: It rained.
Travis: Yes, but how is it said, the light in a storm?
Driver: A storm?
Travis: Yes, a storm. [Pause] I'm asking about the light that comes with the noise in the storm.
Driver: A windy storm.
Travis: Oh, here's our hotel.

3 comments:

Old Father William said...

You should have made the scary monster hands and opened your eyes really wide and said "che-chow!! blam blam blam" and then made shaky diagonal downward motions with each "blam." That's the international way of expressing lighting or Little Richard playing the piano.

David said...

crap, i cant remember the word now.

Anonymous said...

I think you're looking for 'relampago', no?