Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Don't try to be no hero

Bill Brown was one of our jazz band directors in high school. He was also a former professional football player and coach for weight training. In the weight room*, he had several colorful expressions, including "Don't try to be no hero."

I though of Mr Brown's words last Saturday, as I sat on the floor of Owen's room, covered in Owen's vomit. (OK, "covered" is an exaggeration. His first shot only coated my left arm and thigh, and the second was really scattered over my right chest, arm and forehead.) Owen had woken from his nap, crying very hard. From previous episodes we knew that heavy crying could lead to puking. But I wasn't going to scoop him up and race to the bathroom. No, I was going to sit there with him, comfort him and let him know that everything was all right. And so it was, as long as one's definition of "all right" includes an immediate bath and the lingering smells of bile and Resolve-brand carpet cleaner.

So it turns out that Mr Brown may have been trying to tell us about more than lifting weights. Another of his favorite weight room expressions was, "What are you gonna do when some big dog is chasin' you?" Now I'm a little nervous to learn what that might be all about.

* I know, I took weight training. Please keep the jokes to yourself.

No comments: