Sunday, July 05, 2009

Transformers 2

Two years ago, the day before Owen was born, Kerry and I went to see "Transformers", hoping that the noise and excitement would induce labor. It didn't, but it did induce what I immodestly consider to be one of my better movie reviews:

For those who are undecided, let me encourage you to go. The movie absolutely lives up to its name. There is more transforming in "Transformers" than in any movie you will see this year. If you are a fan of transformation, you simply cannot miss "Transformers". If you have been wondering if transformation is really your cup of tea, go see "Transformers"; the question will be answered once and for all.

To be sure, transforming is really at the heart of "Transformers", but the movie has other strong characteristics. It could have been called "Transformers: Loud, Kinetic Action With Planet-Sized Plot Holes And Stunningly Bad Robot Dialog".

I liked it.
"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" delivers somewhat less fully on its title's promise. Yes, there is quite a lot of transforming, but I feel that it has been slightly downplayed in favor of more robot fighting and planet-sized plot holes. And frankly, while there is plenty of "of" and "the", very few of the characters who fall down in the movie go on to pursue, let alone achieve, revenge. But these are mere quibbles; it was still really fun and surely satisfied anyone who wanted to see it in the first place. (Like its predecessor, this Transformers movie failed to induce labor, which was a good thing this time around.)

A handful of people have asked us if we plan to stop having kids after Baby Something. I guess it's really up to Hasbro and Michael Bay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shia Le whoever is a nice looking fellow, and as a famous actor I'm sure his girlfriends are smokin' - but his character in movies always has a vacant, gorgeous girlfriend, and I just don't see it. I mean, I see why. Just watch Entourage. The most female-unfriendly show since In the Company of Men.

I'm pondering the useless. Never you mind.

Old Father William said...

His girlfriend in the movie is his girlfriend in real life. Pretty weird.

Not as weird as me responding to a post but not to Trav or Kerry. Let me do that now...

By and large, there is not enough "of" in any movie, but I could do with a little less "the"

That's just my tastes, though.