Friday, July 18, 2008

Watching Watchmen with reckless enthusiasm

Watchmen is, in my highly unoriginal opinion, the best comic book ever. I've read it multiple times, each time enjoying it and terribly impressed by it. So I was quite nervous when I heard that a movie was being made of it.

Having seen the trailer, I've switched from nervous to recklessly enthusiastic. It looks fantastic. Admittedly, the main reason I say so is that I recognize the movie shots straight from the book. You (and I) may ask why bother making a movie that's just like the book, particularly when the distinguishing feature of the book is the way it uses the comic medium to tell the story? (OK, it won't be just like the book; there are some elements that don't make it.) But in this case, I don't care, because I'm so glad to see them holding close to a creative gem. At least they're holding close visually; hopefully the characters and plot do as well.

But did I mention how awesome the trailer looks?

1 comment:

Old Father William said...

Darn right. If a vision from another media , especially comics or animation, is compelling enough to make into a film then, at least the first film should be slavishly true to the original material. First to please the fanboys, who despite the pejorative connotation are bar none the most important driver in the viability of the project and second to induct the mass audience into the original vision. Sequels can take liberties. Compare copalla's "outsiders" with the "josie and the pussy cats" movie. The former is the gold standard the later the exemplar of all the sins of hollywood ruining artistic vision.