Thursday, July 06, 2006

The wily Ken Lay

I admit, I've only looked at headlines and snippets of articles on Ken Lay's death, but I am surprised by the tone. The stories appear to emphasize the fact that Lay will now serve no jail time. It's coming across not as a heart attack, but as bitter spite, an beaten-but-unrepentant man's final middle finger at prosecutors and the thousands of employees and investors that he wronged. Due legal process did find that Lay hurt a lot of people, but this degree of malevolence seems a bit much.

3 comments:

Old Father William said...

No Trav, you are wrong about the malevolence part. Death brings with it numerous tax benefits and escape hatches from liability that will forever foreclose any hope of the government and myriad civil claimants from receiving anything like just compensation.

travis said...

I see now that my comment was ambiguous. I think William thought I was calling the media malevolent. In fact, I was trying to refer to the malevolence attributed to Ken Lay. William's observation only reinforces the perception that it was selfish and irresponsible of Ken Lay to die.

Old Father William said...

Darn tootin'