Saturday, July 29, 2006

Hola de la Chocolatería San Ginés

OK, I'm not actually at the chocolatería, but I'm just from there, catching the last Metro of the night, so I'm afraid you'll just have to be satisfied. I can't necessarily endorse Dave's assessment, as I've now sampled only one of Madrid's churros y chocolate, but they were pretty darn good.

As I sat down, there was an instant feeling of Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. Admittedly, the physical places are pretty different - San Ginés is much smaller and nestled in a centuries-old close - but late-night fried sweets with stimulant produces an distinct vibe. The churros y chocolate are neither as sweet nor as awakening as beignets and coffee, but they are crisp and delicious. And be forewarned, allow a good bit of time between your massive Spanish dinner and San Ginés; a serving for one is pretty substantial.

(By the bye, for those who know the churros from Central Kitchen at Rice, San Ginés just edged them out.)

No comments: