Thursday, February 16, 2006

What is the world coming to?

First I was agreeing with the RNC, now I'm defending Dick Cheney.

I am now officially annoyed by the media coverage of the vice-president's hunting accident. The righteous bleating over Cheney's neglect of the "public interest" is absurd. The reason this story is the public interest at all is because the press have decided that they are offended and/or can score points against a notoriously uncooperative official, and therefore they will give what really is a terrible, personal accident top billing.

Don't get me wrong, it was shockingly naive for such a Washington insider as Cheney to think that he could simply notify the local paper that he had just shot his friend in the head, and that would be that. The ongoing foofaraw makes that foolishness clear. But to claim that was an offense against the nation is really a bit much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who;s had the worst week for the most pointless reason; Dick Cheney or Wayne Gretzsky. Granted The Great One didn't shot anyone. I think you are right on the mark about the media. And as far as their outrage of whether it was 11 or 24 hours before reporting the incident, who really cares. I didn't find out for almost 38 hours and it doesn't change my opinion of the VP. It doesn't do much for my lessening opinion of the most of oue media outlets.
Eric

Angus Hendrick said...

I'm thinking it wasn't naive. I'm betting it was either that he got swept away in the moment and forgot about being Vice President--after all, he just shot someone--or he thought "screw'em," recognizing that the late notification would be neither here nor there in the big flick.

Anonymous said...

The real problem here, of course, is the cover up of the intelligence failures before this tragic accident: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45572.