Thursday, October 06, 2005

Who Without a Cause?

I saw Rebel Without a Cause for the first time last night and was left baffled. I found the title totally misleading. It ought to have been called The Only Sane Guy in Town; with the exception of policeman Ray, James Dean's character was by far the most balanced, well-adjusted person in the movie. Sure, he had his weak points, but he was 16 years old; I think he handled the nuts around him pretty well. The whole thing didn't make much sense to me, but maybe you just had to be there ("there" being 1955).

1 comment:

Old Father William said...

Fortunately, I saw the movie in middle school prior to Paul Abdul's travesty of a video summarizing the movie with Keanu Reeves as Jimmy Dean.

I thought it was pretty good, actually. I liked "The Outsiders" better (Why did Ponyboy have to die?) but nevertheless, a solid "B"