Friday, September 23, 2005

All-in

This afternoon, I calculated the all-in cost of some loans. "All-in" means that you take all the loan disbursements, all the fees, all the interest, all the repayments, and mash them all into a single number, to get a simple way to describe the cost of the debt. Well, that's what "all-in" means to a true financier. To me, it still means as much poker as finance, so I get this mental image: One of the bankers we work with, sometimes with a dealer's shade on, sometimes with the big shades and old-school track suit, sits at a conference table. With both arms, they sweep together all the project documents and lending covenants and lean slightly forward, pushing them to the center of the table. Then, without a word, they sit back, eyes never leaving the borrower, and wait.

Welcome to London Hold 'Em at the World Series of Banking.

3 comments:

Old Father William said...

Oh no! Your first ad! I was concerned that the hurricane would blow trash around my backyard, but now this!

travis said...

Sadly, not my first. I've had two others before. They were much longer and had to do with Northwest timber. (I blame Dave.) I deleted those before anyone noticed, but I'll leave this one for comment continuity.

Blogger has one of those graphic word features that you can turn on to prevent automated comments (ads). I've been holding off on using it, in case it's a headache for the faithful readers.

Old Father William said...

Ah yes! Another great reason for why I don't allow comments on my blog, only full-on articles.

Ok... I just wanted to use "full-on" in my comment to match your "all-in" in your article.

Its the little thrills in life that are little thrills in life.