Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Dangit, Pat Robertson

I had so many other things I wanted to think and write about this morning, and then I heard that Pat Robertson has advocated the US assassination of Hugo Chavez. I'm not a fan of Robertson (or Chavez, for that matter), and I know he's said dumb stuff before, but this has just stuck in my craw. How can someone so surrounded by, and ostensibly promoting, Christian teaching be advocating a political assassination or the invasion of Venzuela that he treats as a foregone conclusion? Or fine, put the morals aside, if you really do think that Chavez is a threat, do you think that an assassination proceeded by trumpets is the way to meet it? And this guy is an icon of the political movement that is increasingly defining the Republican party.

Please don't feel compelled to answer my questions. (A fine thing to say after throwing a lit match at the twin gasoline cans of politics and religion.) This is me venting, and you're just unlucky enough to read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PR is just a "wake up" call. So caught up/entrapped with his own history and (supposed and real) constituency that he feels it appropriate to expound upon, and promote, national policy.

Two good news stories here: First, PR's right to make a fool of himself is one protected...and one that, I hope, we all feel encouraged to protect as much as we enjoy it.

Second, PR, in this one moment of self-aggrandizement, has done more than anything that comes to this reader's mind to undermine the religious right; and that's a good thing. The conservative pandering that, in my (voting) recollection began with the Carter campaign in '79, and which was immediately countered and overcome by the Reagan campaign's more empassioned pleas, has reached, I hope, it's high water mark.

I suspect, of course, that's not true; the pendulum has further to swing before the inexorable force (regardless of political system)of human dissatisfaction arrests this mindless inertia...and reverses it into one which the X-gen will have to look over, lament, and deal with in its/their own time. Good luck.

This from a conservative.