Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Secure property rights means never having to say you're sorry for breaking your own stuff*

Since classes started a week ago Monday, I've been surrounded by a cloud of things breaking:

  • Last Monday - The screen cracked on my CliĆ©. For a touchscreen PDA, that's pretty much fatal.
  • Wednesday - The shoulder strap on my bag broke, sending all, laptop included, crashing to the ground. Well, the strap could be fixed; no harm done. (Or was it? Read on...)
  • Friday - At about 0600, the window in our bathroom broke with a sharp pop. No sign of impact, it just broke. Happily, it stayed in the frame.
  • Saturday - Visiting Ros for dinner and a movie, I neatly tore the tray out of her DVD player with a devil-may-care swipe of the hand. (You must understand, a DVD was falling towards the carpeted floor. I had to try to catch it, to avert the terrible consequences. Those consequences were, of course, realized, as my hand was too busy destroying her entertainment center to actually grab the disc.)
  • This Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... - My laptop has displayed a cavalcade of errors, from the blue screen of death to my blue streak of swearing, from the red badge of courage to the Red Duke of Caladan.
I don't think that any great number of warranties have just expired. I guess I'm just lucky.

* But it does mean having to say you're sorry for breaking other people's stuff. Sorry, Ros.

1 comment:

David said...

i had my laptop fall out of my laptop bag the other week. i had forgotten to zip it as i was running late for a meeting at work. so when i stepped out of the car and grabbed my bag, the laptop squirted right out and fell to the ground. all seems well except my delete key is only half on. i can live with that, considering i already had to pay to replace the screen when someone stepped on it.