Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Washington Nationals

I'm not the biggest baseball fan, and I don't really know if DC is getting a good deal getting a team, but I did want to mention the renaming of the Expos franchise as the Washington Nationals. Apparently that was the name of the first DC baseball team, back in the day (1873). I'm glad that MLB managed to avoid giving the team a ridiculous name, either for perceived coolness (Toronto Raptors - NBA) or foolishness (Kansas City Wiz - MLS 1996). That said, I think they could have done better than a name already in use in MLB. (Why not the "Washington Major Leaguers," just in case the teams get realigned?) I guess the best feature of the new name is that, as nationals, they are less likely to be deported.

3 comments:

Wm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wm said...

They should call it the "Washington Nationlists" or better yet the "Washington Nationalistics" and then the fans can themselves the "Xenophobes" or the "phobes"

During the the 7th inning stretch they could sing "There was a neocon foreign policy wonk and Jingo was his name-o, J-I-N-G-O, J-I-N-G-O, J-I-N-G-O, And Jingo was his name-o."

The mascot would be a giant with feet of clay.

Amy said...

I'm STILL bitter that Baltimore went with Ravens. One of the proposed names was the Rhinos, which works much better for football, what with being a RHINOCEROUS and not a stupid bird resulting from a poet's hallucination. I do like the word "quoth," though.