Friday, November 19, 2004

Election review

For better or worse, most Elkridge Hollerer readers have been denied my fairly heavy commentary on the past presidential election. For the record, I feel I ought to sum up.

  1. I am disappointed that Bush was re-elected.
    a) I did not feel that his record of poor execution, broken promises, and fiscal irresponsibility warranted a contract extension.
    b) I was hoping for a party split between the White House and Congress.

  2. I am disappointed that Kerry was not elected almost entirely because of 1a and 1b, above. But there is consolation:
    a) I think I prefer John Edwards being more than one heartbeat away from the Presidency.
    b) A Republican White House means the chattering class will be able to amuse themselves for the next few years speculating about Hillary in '08.

  3. I saw what I consider the most interesting story of the campaign after the fact. On 21 October, The Program on International Policy Attitudes and Knowledge Networks released poll results showing an impressive divergence between fact (as best as we know it) and what Bush supporters believed about Iraq, terrorism, foreign perceptions of US policy, and the President's own positions. It makes me question how far we've really progressed into the Information Age (or how far behind we've left the Age of Reason).

  4. The overlooked story of Election 2004: Badnarik almost took Nader! Libertarians unite! It's revolution time! #3 in '08! (I'm sure the Libertarian Party would welcome any and all alternative slogans.)

No comments: