Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The move to Dallas

Dad moved to Dallas today. It went very smoothly. He had medical transport, riding in a reclining wheelchair in a van, while I followed behind. At 10:00 he was ready to roll, and by 2:05 he was here.

Dad quickly was whisked away to his room, and that was the last I saw of him. I passed the covid temperature check outside, so I was allowed into the lobby and admission offices, but that was all. Beyond the restrictions on visitors, as a new arrival, Dad will be limited to his room for the next 14 days. It's a stinker, but I understand the rationale.

After admit paperwork, I spoke with a physical therapist and the admitting nurse, introducing them to Dad. They were nice. Later I got a call from a case manager, and I phoned a nurse or tech on Dad's floor to plug in his heart loop monitor base station. So, good communication. What's more, his building is new, with a lobby decorated like a chic hotel. Don't know what else I can hope for in the first six hours.

Unrelated to the day's events, but delightful, I'll share a story from Cousin Kathy:

   ... from the 50s and 60s when my family and John's spent time on Cape Cod for many summers. There was lots of beach time and card games. The women in the crew were avid knitters and there were lots of knitting instructions to be found in the cottage. Your Father entertained us all by reading these instructions out loud verbatim. Who else could crack up his audience with renditions of:
   Cast on 37 sts
   Row 1: K1, *P1, K1; repeat from * to end
   Row 2: P1, *K1, P1; repeat from * to end
Lots of percussive Ks and Ps to the great delight of his audience.

Really funny and off-the-wall. I'd never heard that one.

No comments: