Thursday, November 13, 2008

Disgusting Medical Factoids of the Day

The studying continues.
Sunday was anal disorders and irritable bowel syndrome. Monday was inflammatory bowel disease. Today is all about infectious diarrhea.

Things I know:
How long a tapeworm can you get from sushi? A very long one (feet) –diphyllobatrum latum.
What happens if you eat a bad chitterling? You get yersinia diarrhea.
How many individual Norwalk virus (cruise ship gastroenteritis) particles does it take to cause diarrhea? 10
What is a common method of transmission of Norwalk virus? Aerosolized vomit (eeewww)
What bacterial infection can you get from a pet turtle? Salmonella
How many E Coli bacteria does it take to make you sick as stink? 10
How many E Coli outbreaks have been attributed to leafy green vegetables since 1993? 26
What does 30% of raw chicken juice have in it (the liquid around the chicken in the styrofoam tray)? Campylobacter jejuni, which causes diarrea

I’m going to go wash my hands now.

And one last fact: How long is the ‘appointment’ for taking the GI board exam? 630 minutes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Seth should talk - I might have liked high-school Biology if interesting factoids such as these had been sprinkled in....

On the other hand, I'm not really hungry for dessert any more.

Old Father William said...

Dakota has a stomach bug and I am keeping her home from school. Last night I made her help me clean up the study and feed the cats. When she got sick, I practically tore myself to pieces with guilt as I was sure that I had infected her with

Bartonella, toxocarias or toxoplasmosis. Bad WebMD BAD!