Thursday, October 16, 2008

Observation on the brain and self

This is a fascinating account by a brain scientist of her own stroke. Her description of her thinking and perception as parts of her brain shut down is remarkable.



(Or see it on the TED Talks site)

I'm not as amazed by her suggestion that we all ought to live in our right brains. I can't help but observe that, were it not for the nagging of her left brain that something was seriously amiss, she would have died. But I'm a pretty died-in-the-wool lefty*, so how else could I respond?

I remember how Owen went through the process of discovering his hands and other fundamentals of his being, and I wonder how much his perception was like Dr Taylor's.

* New conversational fun: I think I'm going to start swapping the political and brain hemispherical senses of "right" and "left" without warning.

1 comment:

Old Father William said...

Really interesting talk complete with the reason why I could never hack it with cognitive science: the Human Brain really skeeves me out.