Sunday, May 18, 2008

No is no

Owen knows "no". Three times in the last 24 hours, he was messing with something he oughtn't (once the cord on a lamp, twice the broiler door). All three times, I said "no", firmly, but not particularly dramatically. All three times, he looked at me, stopped what he was doing, and started doing something acceptable without leaving the location of the forbidden fruit. As if he though, "Oh yes, that's right, I'm not supposed to pull on the lamp cord. I'll just remove these books from the shelf instead. That will be fine."

I was and am amazed, and am enjoying it while it lasts. (The Vegas line is currently another 36 hours.)

1 comment:

Old Father William said...

Wow. The exact scene you describe was covered over an over again by Dr. Klineberg in his sociology class about the different analytic lenses of social sciences. For the record they are:

* Freudian
* Behaviorism
* Evolutionary Sociobiology
* I can't remember the 4th one

Anyhow, I drew a series of really excellent cartoons in my notes and if I find them I will scan them and send them to you.

By the way, depending on the lense you are either:

1. Reinforcing your sexual dominance of the clan Dunbar
2. Conditiong your son to have a negative stimulus response to messing with power chords (he'll never play emo)
3. Protecting your genes
4. I really wish I could remember the 4th one.