Thursday, July 26, 2007

Genghis trivia

Q: What was the first song that Kerry and Travis, independently of one another, sang to Owen?

A: The Oscar Meyer advertising jingle

I came to "My bologna has a first name..." last night via Emily's advice to sing folk songs at 3am. It wasn't 3am, but Owen was crying, so I gave "This Land Is Your Land" a try. He seemed to like it, as he did the first verse of "Blowin' in the Wind". But he hadn't previously enjoyed my improvisations on "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", so I suspected that it wasn't the folk genre he liked as much as the Woody Guthrie/Bob Dylan hybrid voice I was affecting. I tested this theory with my folksy interpretation of the Oscar Meyer jingle. He dug it, as well as a Guthrified version of "Lush Life".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woody Guthrie sings "Lush Life". Now that I have to hear. Move over Ella!

David and Rita said...

try "louie, louie" as sung by arlo guthrie. (i don't think it would necessarily calm owen. i'm just trying to help you get to the dad-making-a-fool-of-himself stage faster, the sooner you get there, the better off the whole family will be.)