Friday, December 30, 2005

Humility is a picky squirrel

Well, it looks like I was wrong. Almost a week on, a carrot hangs untouched on our squirrel feeder, days after the corn has been picked clean. I thought I had it figured out: squirrels are rodents, so they must like carrots. Find me a rodent that doesn't like a carrot. Rats, rabbits, hamsters, raccoons (OK, not rodents, as it turns out, but kind of similar) - they can't get enough of the orangey, rooty goodness. But not squirrels.

And to think that I disparaged Hermanito Scott. He critiqued my squirrels-eat-carrots theory by noting the large number of cartoons that do not show squirrels eating carrots. Actually, I remain convinced that I was right to mock him, as using cartoons as a nature guide is ridiculous. All the same, the cartoons were right this time. (I should send a note to Acme Co., telling them not to drop their coyote-centric product line.)

1 comment:

Old Father William said...

Squirrels will eat carrots, just not out of your bird feeder. The reason, my dear Travis, is that the squirrel is FINALLY suspicious. That's right, the squirrel sees the carrot hanging out in your bird feeder and thinks "Wait a minute, birds don't eat carrots... it's a trap for me! Quick! Hide! The Dunbars are 'on' to me!!"