Monday, May 02, 2005

Working alone

I was reminded today of the subtle encouragement I get from working around other people. Not working with other people; that's something different. But even if ostensibly working on something alone, being in an office where there are other people working on related things can be kind of motivating. The tangential email, the phone call, the tap-tap of another keyboard - I suppose they can be distracting, but now that I have the experience of working without those things, I miss them. At least I think that's what I miss: a sense of community. All I'm sure of is that working at home alone all day on, say, a national energy policy for Colombia is draining.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I was reflecting the other day how much I wished I worked alone. The sense of community is good, but not as good as being left alone to do things how I wish to do them. I think I also carry resentment for working hard to make other people money on a technology that I don't use. So, at least you're juicing up a nation instead of, say, making it possible to shave pennies off the latest Snoop ringtone download. Most likely, I probably just need a vacation, and then my tolerance for interruption and over-zealous meeting discussions will return to normal levels.