Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Update

For whatever reason, I woke up this morning and realized that I hadn't shared any updates for a week. There are indeed updates to share.

Most of Dad's sutures came out a few days after his fall. Everything seems to be healing fine. Beyond the wound itself, he had some bruising on the forehead and around the eye.

His care team wasn't happy about him spending another two weeks confined to his room, so they tested him for SARS-CoV-2. It came back negative, so now he's got a little more freedom within the facility.

We're still on the outside, of course, but the staff arranged a time for us to meet at a distance. A great distance, in fact, as he's on the 8th floor. But nonetheless, last Saturday morning, Kerry, Owen, Katherine, and I were standing in the median of the road outside his building, waving up to him. He sat at the window, and with assistance, stood twice, waving. Of course this being this modern life, we were also Facetiming, so there were moments when we were standing in the median of the road outside his building, huddled around my phone to talk with him less than 100 yards away.

I think these sorts of connection mean a lot to Dad. I know they do to me. In that vein, thank you very much to those who have sent Dad cards and emails via me. Please send them as often as you like.

Dad's care team thinks that he would benefit from another round of in-patient rehab. He would receive at least 3 hours of therapy per day, as he did in Tulsa. This makes sense to me, given what I've heard about most stroke recovery happening in the initial months after the event. If all goes to plan, he would move to a new facility for in-patient rehab on May 4.

No comments: