Friday, April 24, 2020

Standing

I received a video call from the physical therapy gym yesterday and saw Dad standing up. It was with some support, mind; he was holding on to something like a walker bolted to the floor. Nonetheless, it was much more than I had seen since the stroke. His therapist said that he had been standing for about five minutes. Speaking to Dad's longer-term progress on this front, as the left side strengthens, he is listing less in that direction, and can right himself - no pun intended - as he does. Transfers are getting easier as he can assist more. His control over his left arm is improving, as well. I think I mentioned previously that he had used both his hands together to open some mail; the therapist also reported that Dad is better able to release things once he gets hold of them with Lefty. (Aside: I had always thought of a stroke as damaging the ability to do certain things. But one thing I've learned is that, at least for Dad, the damage often manifests as the inability to stop doing certain things, even things we think of as voluntary. This has applied in both the physical and cognitive realms.)

The plan is still to write an order next Monday for him to go to in-patient rehab on May 4. The rehab facility will need to review his case, to see that he is making progress, to accept him. Given what I've seen over the last seven weeks and within the last ten days, I am optimistic that he'll be accepted.

No comments: